If you are the owner of a small business, it is obvious that you cannot manage everything on your own. Rather, you would need to hire people to help you manage it. However, if the wrong people are hired, it would lead to more problems, not to mention increased expenses. So, here are ten simple tips to help you choose the right people for your business:
- Ascertain your expectations: Before you even start the hiring process, you should ascertain your expectations from any new employee. These could include educational qualifications, personality traits, leadership qualities etc. It is important to write down the job description in advance to ensure that you identify the above qualifications or traits, and hire the right person.
- Understand the legal rules behind any hiring: To hire right, you should understand the legal rules and regulations that govern such hiring process. Seeking the help of a lawyer who is well versed with the rules and regulations governing small businesses will help you get an idea as to what obstacles or problems you might face or could overcome by taking preemptive actions
- Developing the perfect job advertisement: Whether you plan to publish an advertisement in the newspapers, TV, or online media, it is important to clearly mention the job description and expectations in it to ensure that only those who match the qualifications apply.
- Seek candidates’ resumes in advance: At times, even with the perfect job advertisement, you may not get candidates who match the expectations. Therefore, instead of wasting time in interviewing the wrong candidates, the simple way out is to seek resumes in advance. This will give you the opportunity to weed out those that do not match the job profile, while narrowing your list down to those that do match your expectations and needs.
- Group interviews: This is a simple and yet effective tool to narrow down your list, if it’s truly extensive. This way, you will be able to understand the skills and abilities of each candidate better, which in turn will empower you to finalize your top contenders, who can then be called for a final interview. Additionally, this technique is extremely useful to understand the ability of a candidate to handle/work in a team, especially if that’s a trait you are seeking for the vacant position.
- Plan well: When interviewing candidates for your small business, it is important to give the entire process some time. Proceeding with speed will only get you the wrong candidates. Therefore, make sure that you have planned the interview process in such a way that you have given both yourself and the candidates’ ample time to learn and understand what the job demands.
- Prepare for the interview in advance: Preparing in advance to ensure that you ask the right questions to the right candidate, which will help in the final decision making process. It’s advisable to include some open ended questions in your list that bring out broader responses from the job applicants. Apart from asking questions that reveal the technical skills of a candidate, you should also ask questions that reveal the personality, behavior trait, and character that could be productive for your business.
- Ascertain the factors motivating your candidate: When interviewing a candidate, it is important to understand the reasons behind the person applying for that particular job. This is especially important when interviewing highly skilled persons as they might look at the offer only on a temporary basis. Therefore, to build a proper organizational structure where you are able to retain talent, make sure that you understand the motivating factors, which in turn would help you make the right choice.
- Evaluation must be standardized: Evaluating the performance of all candidates should be based on a standardized format, which will help you understand and choose better. However, separate tests may be conducted where the job requires certain special skills.
- Check references: Finally, it’s crucial that you ask for and check the references given by your candidates. Though this may appear to be a time consuming job initially, it will help you save money and effort in the long run.
Use these tips to hire right and take your business to the next level.